Sunday, September 2, 2012

Day 1 - looking for my friends

Hewett got me to the start on time.

After staying with family in Berthoud, CO last night (a wonderful stay with shish kabobs on the grill), we made it to the tiniest town of Henry, Nebraska by 10am.  South of town our map showed the Oregon Trail crossing a paved road just 1/3 mile from the state line. We thought that must be the place. Driving the road twice, we finally found a granite trail marker indicating where the trail crossed the road. SCORE!

I was surprised to see what was being the marker: an-over-your-head field of corn.  No tracks going in. No path to follow. I'd been warned about this, that much of the Oregon Trail crossed farmland and that it would either be too confusing or impossible to follow.  This was the case here. Taking some parting photos, we then picked the nearest dirt county road and started the run at 11 am.

It was a hot day with a moderate head wind which helped cool things somewhat.  I ran while Hewett drove ahead and looked for the best route to work our way to Torrington, the first town in Wyoming.  We zigzagged our way west and north on these dusty roads and got to town within a couple of hours.  It was really getting hot now.  A bank digital sign read 94 degrees.   Pushing ahead I got 8 miles down the road to the little town of Lingle.  Three kids were running a lemonade stand. This is when it was the heat of the day.  I don't carry money with me but the thought of ice cold lemonade sounded great. I told the kids that I was running across the state and that my friend was up ahead with my money.  They smiled and said, "Oh."  Gotta love a dedicated businessman.  I left with no lemonade.

The rest of the afternoon I made my way up a highway near what used to be the major thoroughfare for 200,000-300,000 migrants.

As I came across the first 30 miles of the state, I found myself looking for evidence of this trail at every turn.  Suddenly, I had a feeling reminding me of a time years ago in middle school.

When my grades weren't on solid ground in 7th grade, my parents encouraged me to repeat that year. Trying to make things easier for me, they also encouraged me to switch schools. I began attending a private Lutheran school where no one knew me.  For the rest of middle school and high school, I wondered what happened to all of my friends from one year ahead, whose house they were going to, where their parties were.  I had a new group of friends now.  Running this section of Wyoming, I felt that same loss - though these migrants came by here 160 years ago, I felt as though I had also just missed them by a year and that the track from them had faded before I could keep up.

This gives me something to look forward to, however.  Further on, I'm expecting to see sections of trail where the wheel ruts are 6 feet deep in sandstone.  Perhaps then I'll have a connection to the land and the people that I'm seeking out here.

Running backroads and highways today, I was initially disappointed with my trip along the Oregon Trail. Eight hours of running past me now, I realize that this is really just a stark reminder that it is all the more important to continue to preserve what little still exists.  Of the 1700 miles from Missouri to Oregon, only about 15% of the original trail can still be seen today.  I haven't seen it yet, but in the coming days, I sure plan to.

In Guernsey, Wyoming tonight.  May get to Glendo Reservoir tomorrow. Then Douglas, Casper, Muddy Gap, Sweetwater Station, Lander area, South Pass, Farson, Kemmerer, and Evanston.  Hope to finish now by Friday, Sept 14.  

5 comments:

  1. Nice story. Keep running, maybe you will find them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome, Brian! Any way you can get a little embedded map to track your travels? This may be an option http://www.blogabond.com/Promo/GetABlogMap.aspx?from=blogmap

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brian! Hey, bro-in-law! When you're on that stretch of highway 220 from Casper to Muddy Gap, you'll pass by Independence Rock and for a while, you will also be following the route of the old Pony Express. You'll also pass by a couple of locations of old Express waystations: Sweetwater station just near Independence Rock, and five or six miles later just after you pass Devil's Gate, one that used to be called Three Crossings Station because the trail crossed the Sweetwater river three time in quick succession.

    I learned all this in researching my third novel (alas, not yet published), which is set on the Pony Express trail. On that stretch, I assume you'll be running on the Oregon Trail Rd, just south of 220, in which case you'll be passing within about a mile of the novel's principal location, just a ways downstream from Independence Rock.

    I have to tell you, I find this coincidence--you, running through the setting of one of my novels--absolutely hilarious. You may not find it so hilarious now, but you will in January. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What thoughtful and introspective comments about your school experience and the "lost" friends. Perhaps we can discuss some time over a cold glass of lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone - Matt, I'd love to add a map but there's just not been enough time in the evenings. I stop running around 7pm and by the time I've cleaned up and eaten 4 dinners, it's 9 and sleepytime. Perhaps I'll get a chance but most likely we'll be moving away from internet soon so there might not even be updates from here on out.

    Jason - thanks for the info - we'll look for it and try and takes some pictures for you!

    Mom - thanks!

    ReplyDelete