Sunday, August 25, 2013

10 Days in Dairyland

Wisconsin sure has put on a good show for me these past ten days. I found myself dwelling on some bad news in the media the other day. Just as I was thinking that positive interactions between strangers was a forgotten era, I met Fred Lane of Amhurst, Wisconsin. All he did was quietly listen to my brief conversation with the clerk in a gas station as I filled my water. Then he ran after me outside and handed me some money for a meal. I don't actively seek donations during this run but the intent of his encounter was what brightened my day the most. "I just want to support you in this journey of yours" he said, the first words he had spoken to me.

Then today I was out of water as I neared Appleton. I prefer to approach people in their yard as a knock at the door seems to bring a heightened concern from some. But on this steamy Sunday afternoon nobody was out. I walked up to the next house and as I neared the front door, spotted a warning, "Due to increased ammunition costs, a warning shot will no longer be fired." I wheeled around without knocking but it was too late. The owner had seen me coming and he opened the door, heard what I was doing and said, "good luck in your trip", after topping off my water.

Once in town and after I got cleaned up in a room in Appleton, a friend of a friend drove 30 minutes from Oshkosh to meet me for the first time and take me to dinner. Thanks Tim (and Ritchie for the connection!).

Just one big day of running left in Wisconsin, then a short jaunt to the Badger ferry in Manitowoc. Michigan coming up!

Sometimes people say they don't understand why I do this running thing, that its not for them, or their body couldn't handle it. That's ok, because that's not the point. I just happen to be really good at running all day long and I have an odd fascination for
backroad custom mailboxes.

The point, as I see it, is that each of us should have some activity that we enjoy doing and find a way to do it from time to time - whether that's one hour a week or two weeks a year. Aren't our lives busy enough and full enough to warrant some decompression time every now and then? To decompress, I run across a state or two each year. But that's just one of countless ways to do it. Here's hoping you find your time and way. 

1 comment:

  1. As former President of Wild River Ridge Runners of Grantsburg WI [A Marathon distance N. of where you started your WI run in St. Croix Falls.] Heard you 1st on Public Radio ... then your website! Truly Inspiring. God bless you. From Ken Hyatt @ 38sisu@gmail.com [Retired U.S. Navy Chaplain.] P.S. Used to run with my U.S. Marines. Done 8 marathons in my old home-town of Duluth MN every June from 1982-89.

    ReplyDelete