Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Homeward Bound II

Offering me a ride was a kind gesture and another example of the wonderful hospitality I'd been shown on this trip. I initially dismissed the idea as I was making good progress through Colorado already. But the miles were wearing on my body. Yesterday's 44 was a good lesson about my own capabilities. The first 15 miles of that day were terribly slow and difficult. I like towns to be about 7 miles apart. It makes for a good interval between aid stations of bars, gas stations, and dusty grocery stores. But 15 is a big chunk to bite off mentally. That would be a decent distance for anyone to run. What's interesting is that the 29 miles I ran after that 15 were comparably speaking, a piece of cake. That's because it wasn't really 29 miles. This distance running is all about mind tricks. After tbe 15 it was only 7 miles to the next rown with a cafe. Then it was only 8 more to the next town which had a bar but it might be closed because the owner likes to go to town in the afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment