Saturday, July 3, 2010

midnit update

11:30 PM, Lake Mccaughney campground. Borrowing an extra 8 feet of cord from a neighbor, I erected my 4 oz 5 x 8 nylon tarp using two picnic tables and two trees. Laying in my down bag on my Tyvek ground cloth, I was impressed. Then the mosquitos came. Trains are non stop. Then thunder and lightening. Tbesd trees have withstood 40+ years of storms, I'll be fine, I thought. Then the rain came. A little mist blowing in on the face. I can handle this. Then the faucet turned on and water began sheeting on the ground. Within a minute I could feel by back getting wet through the down bag. Weighing my options, I stuffed my bag, slung my pack and ran out into the rain, headed for the showerhouse. That's when I fell flat on my face. 80 yards later and soaked, I'm sitting on a two foot wide wooden shower bench under lights that won't turn off. It may be a long night.

1 comment:

  1. That look on your face says it all, Brian. Poor guy!

    ReplyDelete